One of the best parts about living in Rhode Island is the lovely waters we have here. Taking the boat out on a nice day is one of the great things you can do here in the Ocean State. Unfortunately accidents can happen when you’re out on the water. If you’ve been in a boating accident, give us a call here at Cappuccio & Cappuccio today!
Boat Accident Representation
If you've been in a boating accident, we've got you covered.
Boating accidents can be extremely dangerous because of the water. We know all about the dangers, and are here to help you get the best compensation.
When you come to us at Cappuccio & Cappuccio, you're getting over 70 years in experience. We've had many cases involving boating accidents and are well equipped to help. If you've been in an accident give us a call at 401-596-7042 today!
Rhode Island Boat Accident Attorneys
Here at Cappuccio & Cappuccio we do everything we can to get you the compensation that you deserve. We have tons of experience with these types of cases, and are happy to give you the help you deserve.
When you choose Cappuccio & Cappuccio to handle your case, our lawyers are here to help you:
- Get the treatment you need to get better.
- Gather medical records related to your car accident injuries.
- Prepare your case for trial if you don’t receive a fair settlement offer for your injuries.
- Look into the cause of your boating accident.
- Consult with wage loss experts to help calculate future economic damages.
- Negotiate with the insurance company to help you get maximum compensation.
Common Types of Boat Accidents
Unlike driving, there isn’t a lot of traffic to deal with when boating. Because of this, there are a few things unique to boating that can cause accidents:
- Boating while intoxicated
- Inexperienced operation
- Negligent, reckless, or distracted boating
- Negligent boat maintenance
- Improper lookout
- Machinery failure
- Excessive speed
- Hazardous water or weather conditions
- Force of wave/wake
There are also some unique types of accidents that happen with boats:
- Collisions with other vessels
- Collisions with fixed objects (such as a dock)
Many boating accidents involve open motorboats—such as bow riders, center consoles, and fishing boats. However, many cases also involve personal watercrafts (jet skis), pontoons, cabin boats, and non-motorized vessels.
Types of Boating Injuries
Boating accidents can cause a wide variety of injuries. When you come to us at Cappuccio & Cappuccio, we can help get you the compensation you need for any injury you have sustained. Because of the wide range of accidents, there are a wide range of injuries, such as:
-Arm and Leg Injuries
Injuries to the arms and legs tend to be pretty common in accidents. They can be very serious because they can impact your ability to do everyday things like walking.
Some common types of arm and leg injuries are:
- Cuts, scrapes, and lacerations
- Skin burns
- Abrasions and avulsions
- Contusions (bruises)
- Infection caused by skin puncture
- Blood clots
- Aneurysm in the shoulder, arm, or leg
- Deep vein thrombosis (a common cause of pulmonary embolism)
- Muscle damage
- Gangrene (dead tissue)
- Limb infarction/ necrosis
- Nerve damage
- Broken fingers or toes
- Broken arm or leg
- Severed arm or leg
- Surgical amputation subsequent to injury
Back injuries are no joke. Your back is a very important part of your body whether you realize it or not. Injuries to the back can leave you in constant pain and can make easy things difficult.
Common back injuries include:
- Sprains or torn ligaments
- Herniated discs
- Strains or torn muscles
- Spinal cord injuries
The brain controls everything happening in the human body. Serious damage to your brain can mean serious damage to your life. Some injuries are more serious and damaging than others, but nothing involving the brain should be taken lightly.
Different types of injuries to the brain include:
- Diffuse anoxal injury
- Intracranial hematoma
- Parietal lobe injury
- Temporal lobe injury
The chest is a part of the body that is commonly injured in boating accidents. It also includes vital organs such as the heart, lungs, and liver.
Chest injuries caused in accidents include the following:
- Strained muscles
- Broken, bruised, and fractured ribs (including incomplete fracture)
- Sternal fracture (fractured breastbone)
- Internal bleeding
- Ruptured spleen
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm
- Myocardial contusion (bruising of the heart)
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Punctured or collapsed lung
- Respiratory distress
- Flail chest
- Tracheobronchial injury
- Sepsis subsequent to chest injury
Organs that could possibly be damaged due to chest injury are:
- Lymph nodes
- Pleura/ pleural space
- Pulmonary artery
Water can damage the respiratory system. This is a serious risk in boating accidents, and can do serious damage, sometimes even fatal.
Obviously, when people think of the head, they think of the brain. But there are many different kinds of head injuries that you can sustain in an accident.
When in a boating accident, you can suffer injuries to:
- Jaw and Teeth
Neck damage is one of the most common results of boating accidents. The force that can be the result of an accident is usually too much for your neck to handle. One of the most common injuries to the neck is whiplash. Whiplash can cause symptoms such as:
- Pain that worsens with neck movement
- Limited range of motion
- Impaired ability to drive
- Difficulty performing daily tasks at a normal pace
- Stiffness in and around the neck
- Tenderness in the shoulders, arms, upper back, and lower head
- Tingling or numbness in the arm
- Blurred vision
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Lower back pain
- TMJ/ jaw pain
- Poor concentration and memory problems
- Poor sleep
Other neck injuries include:
- Disc injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Neck trauma involving traumatic brain injury
- Neck sprain
- Cervical dislocation
- Nerve root damage
- Neck fracture
- Lacerations, scrapes, or burns affecting skin on the neck
The pelvis is a bony structure that makes up your hips. Pelvic and abdominal injuries are common in motor vehicle accidents, and because of their proximity, they often occur together.
Different pelvic injuries include:
- Pelvic fracture
- Broken pelvis
- Compressive pelvic injury
- Pelvic contusions (bruising)
- Back pain caused by pelvic injury
- Hip fractures
- Injury to the area(s) around the pelvis
Injuries involving the abdomen are:
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Bowel obstruction
- Intestinal injury
- Stomach injury
- Gallbladder injury
- Colon injury
- Pancreas injury
- Liver injury
- Kidney injury
- Bladder damage
- Muscle/ tissue damage
- Blunt abdominal trauma
- Abdominal abscesses
- Blood clots
- Cuts, scrapes, or burns on abdominal skin
- Abdominal swelling
- Abdominal compartment syndrome
If you have suffered, or think you have suffered any of these injuries due to a boating accident, give Cappuccio & Cappuccio a call at 401-596-4072 today!